Free Online Study Materials - UPSC-Civil Services
How can Government Stop This Practice
Why the practice of Foeticide is still prevalent in India despite many measures taken by government to stop this practice? In your opinion, how can government stop this practice? Critically examine.
Despite several efforts by the government at various levels foeticide is still prevalent in India. Some Reasons are :-
- Preference of male child over girl child because of several misconceptions such as boys produce source of income whereas girls are consumers.
- Customs like dowry degrade the position of women and present them as burden on parents.
- Legalization of abortion.
- Technological advancement in the health sector.
- Ineffective implementation of The PCPNDT Act 1994 (Preconception and Prenatal Diagnostic Techniques Act)
Measures by Government :-
- Effective implementation of schemes like 'Beti padao Beti bachao' and 'Sukanya Samridhi' etc.
- Strict punishment and high penalties on the families who opts for it.
- Zero tolerance policy against the medical practitioners. For example- Cancel their license, ban their clinics and put heavy penalties along with punishment.
- Integrated efforts with NGOs, Panchayats, Ashas, Students etc in creating awareness through campaigns, seminars and street plays.
- Assessment of the status of women (regarding female mortality, sex ratio, literacy and economic participation) should be done regularly.
- Provide single institutional mechanism for the females which includes counseling, legal and moral support, medical care and protection against forced foeticide.